Saturday, December 15

Where Are We Safe?



I have found myself asking this several times this year. Most recently I asked where is my child safe? The list of places where random crimes or should I say mass shootings grows. This year alone I have "learned" we are not safe at the movies, church, mall, school, and as of today even at the hospital (smaller shooting but still saddening).

As a parent, yesterday's events hit home for me. Not only because I put my child on the school bus every morning without questioning their return in the afternoon. Or because I was going to have another conversation with my child about senseless violence happening in our country. But because I fully realized that the world I grew up in, no longer existed.

This is a completely different place. A different time. With different people. Simple things I did as a child, my child is not allowed to do. Not because of maturity or lack of trust, but because of safety. I remember riding my bike neighborhoods away, going to "the corner store", and staying home while my mother ran errands. Things that I do not feel comfortable allowing my child to do. Not only alone, but in a group of kids. Between pedophiles, rapist, thieves, and so much more... I do not want my child out of my sight! I know this is not realistic, but in this day and age I am forced to be a protective parent.

My child is not allowed the same freedoms, much less childhood I was. I think this is completely unfair! And I hate it! I really do! I hate that I am raising a kid in this world. I hate that she does not know the carefree feeling. I remember being in high school when the Columbine shooting happened. I remember the feeling of fear and confusion. I realize that for years my child has witnessed things in this nation that does the same. It makes me sad and upset. I do the best I can to allow my child to enjoy childhood. I admit I push safety and awareness, but I also allow my child to be just that a child. Strange balance, but a required one.

1 comment:

  1. It sucks. Today's children are missing out on so many memories because of stupid people in this world. I grew up the same way - hopped on my bike in the morning and stayed gone all day. My friends and I would go from house to house playing. Our parents knew each other and the neighbors knew which kids belonged to which house. Those days were great. We live in a sad and ugly world.

    ReplyDelete